Matty Hong is a professional rock climber and filmmaker. He grew up in Boulder, Colorado into a family of climbers and has been surrounded by the sport nearly his entire life.
His passion for climbing stems from his parents—both pioneers in the sport and active first ascensionists since the early 90s. Raised in the dirt of Rifle Canyon, Matty quickly gained an appreciation for the outdoors and living on the road.
Listen to the episode below or anywhere you get your podcasts!
Over the years he has been determined to continue his pursuit of a climbing lifestyle, and more recently he has taken up photography and filmmaking to share the stories of his adventures and fellow climbers.
In 2015 he graduated from the University of Colorado with a BFA in Film Production, and now every time he packs his climbing bag, a camera is always included.
Though Matty has climbed 5.15b and established himself among the world’s strongest sport climbers, for him climbing has become much more than a tick-list or placement in competition—the pleasure comes from the pursuit of exploration and the experiences that go along with it.
Mentioned on the show:
- Follow Matt on Instagram @honngy
- Go to Matty’s Black Diamond athlete page
- Check out Matty on The North Face
To share the stoke:
- Connect with your hosts on Instagram at @jonathanronzio & @e_hollz
- Follow @thestokecast and tag us in a story!
- Tell one person who you think will learn something and love the show 🙂
- Subscribe and leave a review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each one!