Karen Ramos is the founder of non-profit Get Out Stay Out (aka Vamos Afuera), an organization that connects indigenous-migrant children with the outdoors through hiking, camping, and backpacking adventures. But in words…
…is nothing more than your average and not-so-average Latinx- indigenous 20-something year old brown girl who stumbled, rolled, and straight up took a dive into rock bottom only to find and come to terms that maybe (cheese alert) all that was for a reason.”
Intrigued? Us too! That’s why we were so stoked to have Karen on the show! Tune in below or anywhere else you listen to podcasts.
At age 23 Karen was academically dismissed from a university and vowed that she was too “dumb” for school and that she would never return to academia. Now at age 26 Karen is currently a full time student at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo University, with an adult day job crunching numbers for a local architecture firm.
On her limited free time she can be found searching for excitement in the very mundane tasks of adult life, pulling her very stubborn very cute dog along on a trail, or pretending to know what she is doing on a mountain bike.
You will also find Karen sharing inspirations with the youth at GET OUT STAY OUT or playing hooky from class/work for some sleepless weekend adventures. And on a rare occasion, she will pop up on your Tinder feed where you are highly encouraged to swipe right if that is the kinda thing you’re into 😉
Mentioned on the show:
- Learn more about Get Out Stay Out (501)(c)(3) at vamosafuera.org
- Connect with Get Out Stay Out on Facebook
- Check out Karen’s website naturechola.com
- Follow @getout.stayout on Instagram
- Follow @naturechola on Instagram
To share the stoke:
- Connect with your hosts on Instagram at @jonathanronzio & @e_hollz
- Follow @thestokecast and tag us in a story!
- Tell one person who you think will learn something and love the show 🙂
- Subscribe and leave a review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each one!