What is an FKT? That stands for fastest known time. And Boston’s “Stringbean” Joe McConaughy is no stranger to setting them.
Have you ever thought about going out for 2,000+ mile run? Do you think even if you had the physical strength, you could muster the mental stamina? This week on the Stokecast, record-breaking distance runner, Joe McConaughy, shares what it takes to smash records on the world’s longest trails.
First on the 2,659-mile long Pacific Crest Trail, then the 2,200-mile long Appalachian Trail (obliterating the self-supported record, coming in hot at 45-days, 12-hours, and 15-minutes), and most recently, crushing Ireland’s Wicklow Round.
Joe McConaughy takes to The Stokecast to chat with Jonathan and I about…
- How he came to be a runner, and even crazier, an ultra marathon trail runner
- Combining your passion with a cause (Run for Colin)
- What you learn when you dig deep
- His journey on both the Pacific Crest Trail and Appalachian Trail (to crush the speed records)
- How a positive mindset works wonders
- The importance of gratitude and having a support crew
- Jonathan also gets his first sub 5-minute mile right before we interview Joe!
Mentioned in this episode:
- Run For Colin – Documentary on his PCT
- Joe’s AT Speed Record
- Joe’s Most Recent Wicklow Round FKT – Columbia Video
Ways to connect with Joe:
- @thestring.bean on Instagram
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Connect with us on Instagram at @jonathanronzio, @e_hollz, @exploreinspired
- Share this show on Twitter or Facebook
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes
Thanks for joining us. Until next week!