Mike Chambers is the co-founder of Summits Education and Flying Kites Academy, two non-profit organizations working to improve educational opportunities in Haiti and Kenya respectively.
He is also a multi-faceted mountain athlete on the ambassador roster for brands like Merrell and MSR, and is the co-creator and host of Beat Monday, a new series on Outside TV all about making the most of the weekend.
On this episode of The Stokecast, Mike chats with Jonathan and Emily about the “voluntourism” dilemma, how to get started finding the right organizations and causes to align your advocacy efforts with, and Mike tells candid emotional stories about his experiences with Flying Kites and Summits.
Mike also explains how he found and developed his love for adventure sports, what steps he took to build his life around his dream expeditions, the setbacks he’s had along the way as far as injury or work/life balance goes, and how he manages to make it all work these days.
Tune in below or wherever you listen to podcasts!
Subscribe to The Stokecast on iTunes
Mentioned on the show:
- Follow Mike on Instagram
- Go to Mike’s official website
- Watch Season 1 of Beat Monday
- Learn more about Flying Kites
- Learn more about Summits Education
To share the stoke:
- Connect with your hosts on Instagram at @jonathanronzio & @e_hollz
- Follow @thestokecast and tag us in a story!
- Tell one person who you think will learn something and love the show 🙂
- Subscribe and leave a review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each one!
Episode edited by Chris Plante